First DON’T use a lit match, vaseline or fingernail polish.
They DON’T work.
And you can harm your dog or cat by doing so.
In fact they may irritate the tick, and have MORE disease carrying saliva introduced into your pet- the opposite that you want.
1.Get some gloves- don’t expose yourself to any of the tick borne diseases
2. Use tweezers, and grab the tick right at the base of the skin,
3. Pull the tick straight out, preferably with a small bit of skin.
4. Use a steady, slow motion- it is better not to leave any of the mouth parts
5. Flush the unwanted tick down the toilet
6. Scrub the skin after with an antiseptic scrub- chorhexidine or black tea